Bachelor of Arts and Laws, B.A. LL.B (Hons.), Gold Medallist, National Law School of India University, Bangalore (Class of 2018)
State Bar Council of Madhya Pradesh (Since 2018)
Harpreet is an alumnus of National Law School of India University, Bangalore (B.A. LL.B, Gold Medallist, 2018). Prior to joining Chamber 20A he was part of Cyril Amarchand Mangaldas (“CAM”) in their Dispute Resolution and Private Client Practice teams (July 2018-October 2019). In his previous employment, he dealt with both transactional work and litigation/dispute resolution work related inter-alia to corporate-criminal law, commercial law, arbitration and insolvency. After joining Chamber 20A, he has worked on a variety of matters with a focus on Criminal Law and Public Law matters before the Supreme Court and Delhi High Court. At Chamber 20A he has also been involved in drafting /reviewing agreements for clients particularly related to Intellectual Property Law.
1. Appeared for a State Government in a case of appointment of doctors where the candidate challenged the appointment procedure on grounds of illegality/derogation of constitutional principles [Meeta Sahai v. State of Bihar & Ors., 2019 (17) SCALE 718].
2. Appeared for Schedule Tribe Teachers from two South Indian states before a Constitution Bench consisting of 5 judges where the Supreme Court decided the permissibility of 100% Reservations [Chebrolu Leela Prasad Rao and others vs. State of A.P & Ors, 2020 SCC Online SC 383].
3. Appeared for Scheduled Tribe Teachers from two South Indian states before a Constitution Bench consisting of 5 judges where the Supreme Court was deciding the permissibility of 100% Reservations
4. Part of the team that successfully represented the leader of a national political party (Janata Dal United) and opposed the reinstatement of a disqualified parliamentarian (Sharad Yadav)
1. Appeared successfully for several accused persons in bail hearing before the Supreme Court in a case under Scheduled Caste and Scheduled Tribe (Prevention of Atrocities) Act, 1989 [SLP (Crl.) No. 574 of 2020].
2. Appeared for State Government in cancellation of bail hearing before the Supreme Court in a case under Prevention of Corruption Act [SLP (Crl.) No. 1568 of 2020].
3. Part of the team representing an accused in an appeal against an order passed under Special Court (Trial of Offences Relating to Transactions in Securities) Act, 1992 for a financial fraud
4. Advised and drafted bail application for an accused in a case pertaining to cheating and forgery before Sessions Court.
1. Part of the team representing an education sector regulator (NCTE) in multiple disputes before the Delhi High Court and Supreme Court.
2. Reported decisions include Amrit Kunwar Mahavidyalaya v. National Council for Teacher Education [2020 SCC OnLine Del 455]; Rajpati Mata Prasad Shikshak Prashikshan Mahavidya v. National Council for Teacher Education [W.P. (C) 1672 of 2019]
1. Successfully appeared before the Supreme Court on behalf of a major distillery owner against a State Government in a dispute regarding the denial of industrial subsidy benefits. [The State of Bihar & Ors. vs. M/s S.C.I. India Limited & Anr., S.L.P. (C) No. 1865/2020 heard with The State of Bihar & Ors. vs. M/s Sunny Stars Hotels Pvt. Ltd. , S.L.P. (C) No. 1878/2020)
2. Successfully represented affected consumers against an Insurance Company before the Supreme Court in a dispute which has laid down guidelines covering cross appeals in motor vehicle accident cases [Urmila Devi, 2020 SCC Online SC 104]
3. Appeared for an Insurance Company before a Constitution Bench consisting of 5 judges where the Supreme Court decided the mandatory timeline of pleadings in consumer disputes [Hilli Multipurpose, 2020 SCC Online SC 287]
4. Part of the team that successfully represented a Corporate Debtor (Sugesan Transport Limited) in an appeal before National Company Law Appellate Tribunal [Company Appeal (AT)(INS) No.1499 of 2019]
5. Working on and assisting the Amicus Curiae in a case before Telecom Disputes and Settlement Appellate Tribunal (TDSAT) in 2020 [Siti Networks Ltd v. Alfa Cable, BP 453/2019]
6. Part of the team representing an Indian Infrastructure Company (Sugesan Transport Limited) in a construction arbitration dispute against a Taiwan based Engineering Company (Continental Engineering Ltd).