Head of Chambers
Bachelor of Laws (LL.B) Campus Law Centre, Delhi University (Class of 1982)
Bachelor of Arts in History, (BA Hons.) Hindu College, Delhi University (Class of 1979)
Gopal Singh is an Advocate on Record with over 38 years of dispute resolution experience and the Supreme Court has reported more than 500 of his cases. He has been the Standing Counsel for the State of Bihar since 2005 and was the Standing Counsel for Tripura from 2002 till 2018. In addition to these governmental appointments, he has appeared for numerous private clients across a wide range of industries and also been appointed as an Arbitrator in multiple arbitrations. His peers at the Bar affirmed his leadership abilities and elected him as the President of the Supreme Court Advocates on Record Association for a term between 2016 and 2018. He has extensively appeared before Courts at all levels, including the Supreme Court of India, High Courts, Statutory Tribunals, District Courts and Institutional Arbitration Forums. He has trained over 200 junior litigators at Chamber 20A and offers a combination of advisory as well as dispute resolution services to all his clients.
President, Supreme Court Advocate on Record Association (2016-2018)
Standing Counsel at the Supreme Court of India for the State of Bihar (Since 2005)
Standing Counsel at the Supreme Court of India for the State of Tripura (2002-2018)
Member, Supreme Court Bar Association (Since 1982)
Member, Bar Council of Delhi (Since 1982)
1. Successfully secured relief for Nitish Kumar, Chief Minister of Bihar and Ex Railways Minister for India in a criminal case at the Patna High Court. [Nitish Kumar v. State of Bihar & Anr., Criminal Miscellaneous No. 33116 of 2009, 2019 SCC OnLine Pat 331]
2. Successfully secured relief for CK Jaffer Sharief, Ex Railways Minister for India in a corruption case from the Supreme Court, Karnataka High Court and Special CBI Court, Bangalore [CK Jaffer Sharief v. State through CBI, Criminal Appeal No. 1804 of 2012, (2013) 1 SCC 205]
3. Successfully prosecuted a multiple term Member of Parliament (Md Shahabuddin) in a criminal appeal heard by the Supreme Court. [Chandrakeshwar Prasad alias Chandu Babu v. State of Bihar & Anr. in Criminal Appeal No. 932 of 2016 heard with State of Bihar vs. Md. Shahabuddin in Criminal Appeal No. 933 of 2016, (2016) 9 SCC 443]
4. Successfully prosecuted a former Member of Parliament (Anand Mohan) in a criminal appeal heard by the Supreme Court. [Anand Mohan v. State of Bihar, Criminal Appeal No. 1804-05 of 2009]
5. Successfully secured the quashing of FIR against top management executives of a leading Insurance Company in a criminal writ petition heard by the Bombay High Court.
6. Successfully defended a leading industrialist in a white collar criminal case lodged by a nationalised bank before the Supreme Court
7. Successfully secured interim relief from the Jammu & Kashmir High Court for a leading Insurance Company in a case involving allegations of financial impropriety.
8. Successfully secured relief for the Managing Director of a leading pharmaceutical company in a Criminal Appeal heard by the Supreme Court on the issue of alteration of charge [State of Haryana v Rajesh Aggarwal, (2019) 15 SCC 655]
9. Successfully represented a State Government in a financial fraud dispute valued over $ 200 Million that led to the establishment of 5 Special Courts in Bihar [State of Bihar v. Divesh Kumar Chaudhary, (2018) 16 SCC 817]
10. Representing a State Government in a Supreme Court monitored case dealing with sexual abuse of minor girls at shelter homes in Bihar. [Sampurna Behruav. Union of India, MA No. 2069 of 2018 in WP (C) No. 473 of 2005 and Nivedita Jha v. State of Bihar, SLP (C) No. 24978 of 2018]
11. Secured anticipatory bail and bail decisions for multiple accused persons across all judicial forums.
1. Appeared for multiple parties before the Supreme Court in its leading judgement on the Right to Privacy (Justice K.S Puttaswamy & Ors. v. Union of India (2017) 10 SCC 1)
2. Appointed as a sole arbitrator by the Delhi High Court to adjudicate a software dispute between one of India’s largest IT companies (Infosys Ltd) and a government funded autonomous society (Software Technology Parks of India)
3. Appointed as a party nominated arbitrator in a Three Member Arbitration Tribunal to adjudicate an Internet Services Arbitration dispute
4. Advised a leading industrialist on data protection obligations during a forensic audit
1. Represented a State Government before a Constitution Bench consisting of 9 judges where the Supreme Court decided the constitutional validity of entry taxes levied on inter-state sale of goods [Jindal Stainless Steel & Anr. v. State of Haryana & Ors., (2017) 12 SCC 1]
2. Successfully represented an Asset Reconstruction Company before the Supreme Court in a mortgage and auction dispute [Maximus ARC Ltd. vs. M/s Sri Devi Karumariamman Educational Trust& Anr., 2019 (3) RCR (Civil) 430]
3. Successfully secured interim and final relief from the Securities Appellate Tribunal for IFFCO Tokio General Insurance Limited in restructuring disputes pertaining to the IRDA.
4. Mutually appointed as a sole arbitrator to adjudicate multiple mobile telephony disputes between MTNL and privately held telephone companies.
1. Successfully represented Star India (now Disney Company) against the national broadcaster (Prasar Bharti) in a dispute before the Supreme Court regarding mandatory sharing of television signal for sporting events of national importance. [Union of India v. BCCI, (2018) 11 SCC 700]
2. Represented a leading broadcaster in the Supreme Court on the issue of logo free (Clean Feed) sharing of signals with the national broadcaster [Star Sports India v. Prasar Bharti & Ors., (2016) 11 SCC 433]
3. Successfully represented a Multiple System Operator (MSO) before the Supreme Court at the interim stage in a dispute against a State Government regarding the imposition of Entertainment Taxes. [Siti Networks Limited vs. The State of Uttar Pradesh Principal Secretary Institutional Finance and Registration, S.L.P. (C) No. 14077 of 2018 heard with Bharati Telemedia Ltd. vs. The State of Uttarakhand & Anr., Civil Appeal No. 1689 of 2020]
4. Represented a broadcaster in multiple hearings before the Supreme Court, Delhi High Court as well as Telecom Disputes and Settlement Appellate Tribunal (TDSAT).
1. Advised Sobha Developers, a leading real estate company on title search and due diligence of land in South West Delhi and New Gurgaon.
2. Successfully defended a State Government before the Supreme Court in a land acquisition dispute wherein land for a shopping mall had been allotted to a Bollywood personality (Prakash Jha)
3. Successfully represented the Bihar Electricity Regulatory Commission in Tariff Fixation Disputes before the APTEL.
4. Successfully represented De Beers Group before the Mines Tribunal in licensing disputes against multiple State governments
5. Appeared extensively on behalf of multiple parties in mining clearance matters before the Supreme Court’s Green Bench.
1. Successfully represented the leader of a national political party (Janata Dal United) in the Delhi High Court as well as the Supreme Court and opposed the reinstatement of a disqualified parliamentarian [Ram Chandra Prasad Singh v. Sharad Yadav, Civil Appeal No. 2004 of 2020]
2. Successfully represented a national political party in a dispute regarding the allotment of election symbol before the Election Commission of India and before the Delhi High Court. [K. Rajasekaran v. Election Commission of India, WP(C) No. 10811 of 2017]
3. Successfully represented a Member of Parliament (Lok Sabha), Rajiv Ranjan Singh in an Election Dispute before the Supreme Court of India [Rajiv Ranjan Singh v. Ram Badan Singh, SLP(C) No. 32024 of 2010]
4. Represented a Member of Legislative Assembly from Bihar in an Election Dispute before the Supreme Court of India.
5. Represented a National Political Party (Samata Party) in multiple administrative hearings before the Election Commission of India and State Election Commission.
1. Successfully secured interim and final relief from the Securities Appellate Tribunal for IFFCO Tokio General Insurance Limited in restructuring disputes pertaining to IRDAI
2. Representing an insurance company (IFFCO Tokio) before the Supreme Court in Multiple disputes regarding the permissibility of Companies claiming benefits under the Consumer Protection Act
3. Appeared for an insurance company before a Constitution Bench consisting of 5 judges where the Supreme Court decided the mandatory timeline of pleadings in a consumer disputes. [New India Assurance Co. Ltd. v. Hilli Multipurpose Cold Storage Pvt. Ltd, 2020 SCC Online SC 287]
4. Advising an insurance Company on claims arising out of Pay and Recover litigations
Represented a wide variety of clients across all judicial forums in family disputes including but not limited to matters of domestic violence, divorce, child custody, alimony and partition of property.